A glimpse into my journey through this valley in my life, called CANCER...looking ahead to the mountain before me and anticipating the reward when I reach the top of this hard climb, trusting and praising my Jesus the whole way!

But I will hope continually, And will praise You yet more and more. Psalms 71:14

Monday, February 21, 2011

4th Day Post-op

Hi..It's me, Tina.  Shawn brought my computer in yesterday.  My sister, Bev, has been keeping you posted I believe.  My surgery went well although the surgeon ran into some things he was not expecting.  The mass was attached to the abdominal wall, left ovary and fallopian tube, and my bladder.  The ovary and fallopian tube were removed and actually gave the surgeon the worst trouble.  Part of the abdominal wall was removed and then repaired and likewise with the bladder.  I need to have my catheter at least a week since the bladder had to be repaired.   Because these areas were attached, they were not able to perform the surgery lapriscopically, so I have a beautiful long incision up my abdomen and a small one on the right side which has a drain attached to it.  My greatest pain was immediately after surgery and was not related to my incision, but instead my lower back.  Evidently my muscles were seizing with spasms from lying on that hard bed in the OR for so long(approx. 4 1/2 hours).  The surgeon actually operated 3 hours.  The pain medicine was not touching my back pain and I couldn't get comfortable or rest; my body was so tense and I couldn't think about anything else since it was so intense.  My personal aide, Shawn, was kept busy trying to get me comfortable and he did try with such patience and concern.  Finally at 7pm I talked to the resident again and said that I would not get any sleep that night if I didn't get relief, plus I felt myself getting very anxious.  They more then doubled my pain medicine and I could feel it working.  All of a sudden my vision became clearer and I felt 90% better and knew I could handle anything else because I could finally think straight.  Later that night they gave me a pain pump that I could regulate the pain on my own.  Yesterday they removed the IV bags and the pain pump.  Today I actually get to try some food.  My incision is very sore which I am taking Percocet around the clock, but I'm incredibly weak and tire quickly.  I sit here and do nothing, and I know that's what I'm supposed to do, but I'm just not used to being in this position.  I keep asking the nurses if there is something I should be doing because when I'm at home there is always something on my mind that needs done......That's just how we mothers are, I guess.  Please continue to pray.  We do not have the pathology report back yet, so we are prayerful that it will be a good one.  Talk to you later;  I think I need to rest.
PS.  The doc is very pleased with my progress and might send me home tomorrow.  YEAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment